The origins of the Melbourne Gliding Club / VMFG go back to the early 1930's when a small group of glider pilots joined together and began operating at a number of different sites around Melbourne. In September 1944, a public meeting was held resulting in the formal beginnings of the club.
First operations were conducted in a paddock at Mordialloc, however when the airstrip at Berwick became available in 1947 the club moved there and Lord Casey became a patron of the club. After a period of consolidation at Berwick, which saw the club come of age, the airstrip (Casey Field) became threatened with development of residential areas adjoining the field.
In 1962 the club moved from Berwick to its present site at Bacchus Marsh, where improved climate and conditions has resulted in continued expansion of the club's fleet of gliders, aircraft and workshops into one of the best equipped non-commercial clubs in Australia.
In 2013 the club decided to change its name Melbourne Gliding Club, to better reflect proximity to Melbourne, and make it clearer to non-club members what it did.
The continued development of Bacchus Marsh by the three gliding clubs located on the aerodrome has extended facilities to include a shared clubhouse, with accommodation, shared hangars and most recently the establishment of the Australian Gliding Museum's workshop and storage facility.
'Melbourne Gliding Club celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2019'
We greatly appreciate the voluntary service many people have given in the past. These efforts and contributions have made our club what it is today.